Re: Smell fuel in car.

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000 23:27:59 -0400 "Julie Macfarlane"
<juliemac@telenet.net> writes:
> When I fill the tank over 50% or really get heavy on the pedal, I can
> smell gas inside the car. I have tried to find the leak, but to no
> avail.... I can see over by the fuel inlet hose a clean spot on the
metal and hose.
> Has any one seen these hoses leak? Or is there a safer way to find the
leak
> quickly?
>
> One of the guys at work suggested a match. But then again, he drives
> a Honda.
>
> Tahnks again
>
> Julie

Not really... Has the fuel filter been recently replaced?
Sometimes that will leak, especially if you re-use the copper washers.

I'd also check by the fuel gauge sending unit, under the rear seat
bottom.

I'd also look underneath the car, the filler tube has a piece of large
hose that connects it to the tank.
I've seen that leak on at least 2 Sciroccos, an '80 and on a "gorgeous"
'81...

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V