Re: This is a Really Stupid Low-Tech Question

The filter sits at a slight angle.  As long as you
have a fairly large oil pan (18") you should be able
to remove the filter, then tip it as you are taking it
off so all the oil hits the pan.  My car is so low
that there is no spillage.

Now on my g/f Explorer - that thing is EVIL to work
on.  The filter doesn;t have enough room to get a grip
with a wrench, and you end up pouring it all down your
arm and on the floor trying to hit the pan.

--- Bill.Scarince@tenneco-automotive.com wrote:

> So when you guys change your oil, what do you do to
> prevent/reduce the repeat of
> the Exxon Valdez you get as soon as the filter seal
> parts from the flange on the
> filter mount?  Is there some cool tool to somehow
> pierce the filter and drain it
> while it's on the car???
>
> Bill
>

> --