Re: Couple of 16v questions

At 04:10 AM 6/8/2000 , you wrote:
>Jason,
>
>I've never seen a 16V VW motor! There's only
>one cam pully on the front of the motor?
>Which cam is driven directly and which one
>is driven by the chain?

Hey Rich,
         This is an exerpt from the Car and Driver article that's on my
website -- http://members.aol.com/rocco16v -- under the "PRESS" section:

All of these features are relatively conventional and caused no real
developmental problems. The cam drive, however, produced plenty of
headaches. The original design employed a cog belt to drive the exhaust
cam, which in turn drove the intake cam via a set of gears. This approach
was chosen because the sixteen-valve engine had to meet the space
restrictions of several different Volkswagen models, and there was not
enough room for the two large sprockets needed to drive both cams directly
by the belt.
The gear-drive design was strong and durable, but it was also noisy. A
great deal of time was devoted to experimenting with various combinations
of tooth profiles, split-gear systems, and sound insulation, but none of
these measures made the design acceptably quiet. Finally, the engineers at
Wolfsburg scrapped the idea and adopted a roller-chain drive between the
two camshafts, similar to the design Porsche uses in the 928S engine. This
arrangement met both the packaging and the aural requirements.

Jason

1987 Scirocco 16v
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro

http://members.aol.com/rocco16v