Re: Replacing motormounts and oddities.

On Mon, 29 May 2000 23:42:18 EDT EMFalstaf@aol.com writes:

> Well I just got my motor mounts in from techtonics and went to work
> putting  them in.  I got the front rubber bushing in and when I went to
the
> left side of the engine it looked like I needed to remove the lower
cover near
> the timing belt.  Is this correct or is there an easier way to get to
it
> without removing all that crap?

Kevin,

I just replaced the passenger side engine mount today.

Disconnect the battery.
Loosen all the belt adjusters.
Loosen the alternator 17 mm bottom mount and the 13 mm adjuster.
Loosen the a/c compressor 8 mm bottom mounts and turn the adjuster CCW.
Remove the crank pulley, 4, 6 mm allens.
Loosen all the power steering pump 13 mm's, and turn the adjuster CCW.
Remove the water pump pulley and the power steering pulley.
Remove the timing belt cover, 1, 10 mm bolt, 2, 10 mm nuts, 1, 5 mm
allen.
Support the engine...
Remove the 2, 6 mm allen head bolts on the rear of the mount with a
ViseGrip.
Remove the 13 mm bolt and stud/bolt.
Remove the 17 mm bolt that goes through the mount.
Work the mount down and out, in that special Volkswagen way, by turning
and twisting it just right.
When installing the new mount I start the 17 mm first and then I bolt on
the bolts for the bracket to the engine.

Do yourself a favor and replace the 2, 6 mm allens with regular 6 sided
bolts.
...And replace the timing belt and tensioner.

Re-install the timing belt cover.
Re-install the pulleys and the belts, in the proper order, which is: keep
the alternator belt loosely around the alt. pulley.
Re-install the a/c compressor belt, and then the power steering belt and
alternator belt.
Set the proper tension.
Re-connect the battery and you're done.

I did the front and rear mounts too, and everything took about 4 hours,
not including lunch and the trip to Poop Boys.

I couldn't have asked for better weather, and my GTI was getting waxed in
the meantime. 8^)

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V