Re: Rebuilding the 2.0

>I have a an opportunity to purchase a 2.0, the walls are scored, so it will
>need oversized pistons (1rst.). I was on Autotech's site, and OH MY GOD! the
>prices were ridiculousley out of my range. What should I expect to pay for a
>complete rebuild (parts only), and what would be the best combo. On their
>site they boast about their 1.8 rebuilding kit, "a whopping 170 HP" is this
>for real ??? I also checked out some turbo units that boast 240 HP.... I
>think I will need to lift weights and strengthen my kneck. What is the
>average HP you 2.0 listers are pushing (turbo and non-turbo)....
>
>Thanks,
>jason87vw@nac.net
>87 Stoc Roc (dead as a door nail)

If you're going to put in new pistons, I think the 2nd oversize units
are more available (83mm).  This will give you a displacement of 2008cc,
which is the smallest possible ACTUAL 2L...the stock units are 1.9's
in my book. :-)!  I bought my pistons from GPR a year+ ago...paid
like $400-$500 or something.  If you want to do it right, speaking from
experience I might add, it's going to literally cost you thousands. You
can do it for much much less if you so desire though.  What's your
threshold?  I don't think Autotech's 170hp estimates are real...with many
more mods then just a 2L 16v, I'm pushing 170hp+ est this year (since my
motronic upgrade, 160hp+ dyno'd last year).  I am pleased with the power,
and my next mod will be a 3.94 final drive...it's just what I need to
hang with the Jason TMB. :)  (well, at least I'll be closer!).

==Brett