Re: oil light problem

>hello everyone. i am new to the list so allow me to introduce myself. my
>name is ed and i have an 88 scirocco 16v, a 53 chevy and a 70 olds 442. the
>scirocco is my first vee-dub and so far i have had nothing but problems with
>it.. so here goes:

Many of the cars have been pretty neglected...so a caring owner actually
can have quite an uphill battle sometimes due to The Evil Stupid Previous
Owner (or TESPO for short).

>the oil light occasionally comes on. it usually just buzzes for a second or
>two and then goes away, but once it stayed on until i shut the car off.
>since the light first came on, i've been keeping a close eye on the oil and
>it hasn't lost any. any ideas? i bought a cheapie mechanical oil pressure
>gauge that i am going to hook up this weekend. where do i run the oil feed
>line from?

Sounds like you have a weakening oil pump, or a malfunctioning oil
pressure circuit board.  Both are possible. :)  First, try replacing
your oil with something a little heavier, I recommend 20W50.  Let us
know how that works out.

Do you hear much lifter ticking?  They can be sensitive to oil pressure
and a lot of ticking would verify lower oil pressure.  There aren't
any 'free' oil taps...but you could temporarily remove the oil temp
sender (back right hand corner of the head as you stand at the front
of the car)...probably see a pressure drop in comparison to where
the pressure senders normal sample (top of the oil filter flange).

Good luck!

==Brett