Re: Alternator rebuilding

Ben,

The bearings will be stuck inside the housing, not the shaft.  If you leave the housing in your oven for a while, they will come out a lot easier.  There are tools made to pull a bearing like this out, but you can fake it a lot of times.

The commutator is the copper area where the brushes rub.  The coils attach to the commutator.

Before you take your alternator down to the parts store (as a core - 'cause for like 100 bucks you can pay somebody to do all this for you), crack it open and see.

Dan Brideau
http://www.hobbyetc.com/scirocco/