Re: Gas tanks and holes in rear panel.

Actually... It doesn't matter if they already replaced it, or not. It is
a safety recall and they have to do it if the tank is defective!
The thing is that the bad 16V tanks leak at the seam, and not at a
hole
that has worn through from the heatshield...
It's still worth a shot, though...

Go there kicking and screaming, they should do it.

My friend had a leaker and when he went to the dealer they told
him that
it had already been satisfied by the pressure test, and that it was
no
longer a candidate for a free replacement. He walked away with his
tail
between his legs... I told him not to take no for an answer, and
sent him
back to the dealer... The next week he had a new tank. 8^)

Exactly, with a little pressure the VW Dealership will do it. Since
there was a recall on it and all they should bend a bit.

Btw, Gary, I guess you don't want that "gorgeous" Mk1 GTI dash,
since you
didn't even reply...

I'm sorry, I'm still amassing paychecks in order to pay the price for
it :) the price was a little steep for what im looking for, but if it's as
mint as you say then I'm sure you'll have no problem selling it :)
Good luck ;) Thanks,
				Gary Huff

Peter

> On 6 Jun 2000, at 16:50, thescirocco@juno.com wrote:
>
> > Leo Baker <leo@acusd.edu> writes:
> > > As a new Rock owner I'm finding more and more things I
dislike
> about  water cooled German cars.
> > > After weeks of fixing the nickle and dime things or should I
say
> the $5 and $10 things, (just love that $154.00 radiator hose) I
> drove the  car for the second time Sunday evening went by the
local
> station and  put $20 worth of premium it it, ran fine no water
leaks.
Got up
> Monday and went out to get the paper and half of my gas is
gone,
> mostly running down the drive and into the street.  The PO got
> me good, every time I test drove the car he said "we can't go far
> it  almost out of gas" that should of been a clue. The heat shield
> wore a  hole in tank just above the tail pipe. The tank is sitting on
> the  ground now.
> > > Do I fix it or replace it?
> > >
> > > Part II
> > > There are 4 holes next to the rear license plate any idea
what
> > > should be bolted there, they are factory holes (paint in them),
> anyone have
> > >
> > > a clue?
> > > Leo Baker Network Janitor
> > > University of San Diego
> > > leo@acusd.edu
> > >

> > What year is it? Probably '86 1/2-88 if the rad hose was that
> much...
> >
> > I have a 16V Scirocco tank in good condition, that was
replaced by
> the dealer ~3 years ago.
> > I'd sell it for $100 plus shipping from Bear, DE 19701.
> >
> > Regarding the holes, they are probably for the black plastic
> cover, or do you have that on there?

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V

________
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.