Fair price for tall block 16v?

I recently met a VW enthusiast who built a tall block ABA 16V motor for
his rabbit project.

He didn't really want to sell the motor, but he said he'd let it go for
$1500. The long block is complete, not even broken in, just sitting on
an engine stand.

here are the specs:
16v cast pistons CR 10:1 (I guess they're the factory 16V tall block
pistons that the euro market has <shrug>)
balanced crank, rods, pistons
1.8 16v head (no mods/stock cams)
timing belt for tall block
polished camcover (nice touch)

probable recipient would be my '82 with an '84 GTi close ratio tranny,
and CIS ignition. I was tempted to just swap it into my '88 16v rocc
(painless), but it runs so strong (even at 200k), it would be a
shame...

after break in, he said I could upgrade to full motronic...

well, what say you? yay or nay?

thanks in advance,
chrisg