Cincy's a no go for me

I had planned on being there tomorrow to follow the caravan in my lowly
Jeep, but with the time zone thing, I would have been leaving the house at
5:30 or so to make it.  Aimee suggested just going over today and camping,
and we headed out this afternoon to do that.  The Jeep had been ticking a
bit for about a week, but I didn't think it was a big deal.  As we drove, we
seemed a it low on power, and about 10 miles from the Lawrenceburg exit
(last highway before you hit the OH state line), we noticed a distinct
hammering sound that just wasn't going away.  We pulled off on the exit and
I poked around under the hood, and it sounded like something under the valve
cover was getting beaten to death.

We turned around and headed back, and I pulled it apart to find the shiny
end of a pushrod staring at me from above a rocker, where it shouldn't be
(damn pushrod engines!).  I started pulling off rockers, and the other
pushrod for that cylinder (damn pushrod engines!) was severely bent.  I did
find the part of the rocker that popped off, BTW, so it's not floating
around in my engine.

The good thing is the Scirocco was reliable as ever as far as getting me to
the parts store to get a service manual, but now it's the family car until I
get the Jeep put back together.  It's going to be a treat getting a kid in
and out of a carseat in the back of that thing.

Anyway, we'll try for next year.  Any chance of a "mini-gathering" to
correspond with the 9/9/00 show that Larry's is having?

Aaron
'84 Scirocco 8V
'70 Bug - Hibernating
'87 Jeep Cherokee 4.0