Thermostat O-Ring leaks!!!

After tackling the royal pain in the ass removal of
alternator, A/C compressor, power steering pump, and
all the damn supporting brackets/belts/hoses, I was
able to put my nice new shiny water pump in place.
Well, after getting everything back together I started
filling the overflow reservoir and took a look under
the car to make sure all my connections were not
leaking, that's when I noticed fluid dripping from the
thermostat housing. I checked the bolts for tightness
but I didn't want to make them too tight since the
Bentley says they're supposed to be less then 1 foot
on torque.
Anyway, they felt snug so I tore the power steering
bracket off and pulled the pump out of the way ,
drained my expensive Autobahn fluid and Water Wetter
into a bucket,then removed the thermostat housing to
have a look at that damn O-ring hoping to see an
obvious crimp or something. I was unable to determine
why it could have been leaking, it was a new O-ring,
and I was careful while aligning and tightening. I put
it all back together and put about a half gallon of
fluid back in only to see the damn thing still leaks.

I've drained everything again and will await
suggestions from you guys. I'm thinking about just
going to Autozone and buying some freaken form a
gasket and be done with it!

Later...

=====
Jeff Lowe
Garland, Texas
'86 Scirocco 16V (Daily driver)
'64 Type 34 Karmann Ghia (Newest project)
'59 Euro Spec Beetle (Waiting for resto)
'98 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 (The luxury mobile)