RE: 16v question.....

Some cars die, some don't.  If it doesn't die, that doesn't mean it's
broken.

In college I had a roommate with a Mazda 626.  His valves were getting a bit
noisy, so we were going to adjust them.  The Haynes manual didn't tell
whether to do it hot or cold, so I called the dealer's service department
and asked.  The guy told us to do it with the engine running.  This was in
Terre Haute, the most inbred of inbreeder towns, and apparently the guy
worked on one small block Chevy too many.  When I told the guy that it would
die as soon as we disconnected the PCV fitting from the cam cover, he said
there was something wrong with it.  I think the guy was just as inbred as
the rest of the town, and that does something to your intelligence level,
because there was nothing wrong with that engine.

That's probably where your dad got the idea that it should die - he has
probably seen it happen with other cars.

Aaron
'82 Scirocco
'84 Scirocco - parting out
'70 Bug - Hibernating