Re: New dual outlet manifold and TT downpipe? [LONG, but interesting ;)]

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 12:55:35 -0700 (PDT) kevin f <aventari@detonate.net>
writes:
>nice..personal attacks.. i figured it was coming to this.  i almost
>wasn't going to reply, but I feel we should still be able to disagree
>like gentlemen. no hard feelings. here we go..

Ya know, I notice that when I reply to posts early in the morning, I come
across very harsh in my posts. I re-read my message and it really does
sound like its a personal attack. I didn't mean it that way. Sorry dude.
I mean, don't get me wrong, I meant the jist of my messages but I guess I
should of reworded it so it didn't sound like I was all pissed off or
something. I wasn't. Maybe I just need to wake up more, drink a cup of
coffee before replying? I dunno. Its just weird. I wasn't mad when I
wrote it but it reads like I was.

>Actually I don't think a 3" system would be better. It all depends on
>the setup you have, and where you like the motor to have power. If you
>like low end grunt and your car isn't that modified, go with a 2". If
>your car IS modified and you like high end power, go with a 2.25".

I used the 3" as a reference. I didn't mean to infer that you did or do
use a 3" system.

>I will define modified now. (incidentally, it is my exact setup-the
>one i have the most experience with..): 1.8 .020 over 8v w/ 80mm flow
>meter, k&n, ram air, polished audi 5k t-body, retarded g-grind, ported
>intake, p&p head, 9.6:1, MSD ignition, timing 10-12 degrees advanced,
>ported out exhaust manifold, dual downpipe, hollow cat,
>straight-through muffler, and 8000 rpm capability(if it acutally has
>power up there is a different matter :)
>With this car, I feel that 2.25" exhaust is a better choice, for ME,
>or anyone else who likes maximum horsepower over torque.

I have the basic setup you have. I have .40 over pistons stock cam. (FSP
legal stuff.) Test pipe. Id love to see a side by side dyno runs of our
cars to see where they differ in torque & power.

Ive picked the brains of some of the best in the biz when it comes to VW
exhaust systems. (Mostly to verify my ideas for a FSP system I have in
mind.) Also have seen data in some of the regular VW mags that basically
said the same thing. Even Techtonics puts out the same data info and what
I presented as a general guide. Most of these guys have tried and dyno
proven the hp gains VS low end losses.

>Actually, I used to have a 2.25" dynomax super turbo muffler. I liked
>the power. But then I installed a 2.25" magnaflo straight through
>muffler(it has a lot LESS backpressure). I saw a noticeable power gain
>at  5500 RPM and higher and no loss of torque at the low end.
>This tells me that I had _too much_ back pressure. even with a 2.25"
>system.

I dunno man. I have a hard time trusting the seat of the pants feel VS
dyno data.

>I realize that a 2" pipe it a different kind of back pressure, it will
>have a higher exhaust gas velocity, than the 2.25 (which is good), but
>i think when you include the muffler in this discussion (which will
>add restriction--MORE in a 2 inch system), 2.25 is the way to go.

I get what your saying.

>your blanket statement was: "1.8 8v's should use 2 inch exhaust." I
>may not be an English major, but that sure sounds like one to me.

Yes, I think what I said was probably a blanket statement. I don't
consider the mods that you and I have done to our cars heavily modded
either. Mild mods at best. I still think you are better off with a 2"
system.

>Now there, I've said my 2 cents, and some people might not agree with
>me. That's totally cool, you have that right, and I respect it. That's
>what this list is all about, we can agree to disagree and hopefully
>learn something in the proccess!

Sorry if I came off sounding a little aggressive in my previous post.
Unintentional. Ill just wait til midnight to post for now on. :)

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi 8V                   84' Scirocco 8V <--NEW
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-   81' future "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!