Re: plastic in my oil

What is this plastic tube? is it the big one that raises the dipstick up? my JH has a metal tube thats only like 6" long so I have to really reach down in the engine to check the oil, and it's hard to see the tube at night, a real PITA.

could I just buy the tube and a longer dipstick and have that fit on to my existing tube????

and I would worry about plastic shit in my engine. only because if it does melt, it could possibly get into the oil pump pickup and clog the little mesh screen covering it. That's definately a bad thing. Even if it doesn't melt (i dont think it would personally) it could still block the pickup tube and get stuck there.
If that happened to me, I would change the oil ASAP, you dont want your oil pump flowing less oil, and it's cheap insurance.

--- "David & Michelle Barwick" <dbarwick@sprynet.com>
> wrote:
>Bad news:  they're not universal and you need one from a dealer who
>specializes in import parts (or www.parts4vws.com).
>
>Good news: they cost $3.  Buy a spare for next time.
>
>In my understanding, the plastic pieces do not pose a risk in your engine.
>They will be shredded or melted.
>
>David Barwick
>Black '88 Scirocco
>Anthracite '84 GLI