re:dip (stick)

don't sweat it.

get a new one at the dealer it's like he said $2.

if your a normal , daily driver, that little plastic piece can sit in your oil
pan untill it's time to replace your oil. no
need to freak out untill then. but if you do high speed driving
and racing events where you see high oil temps for hours on
end you may risk melting it against your oil pan, in which case
ahhh umm well it would just be stuck there forever. shrug.

your oil pump has a mesh filter attached that won't allow
anything larger than like 0.5mm to get sucked up and around.
even if it got past that mesh that means it would have no problems circulating
around and it would then get trapped
in the oil filter.

it's not like yer running a supercharger or turbo that has very narrow oil galleys....or
are you?

Ryan

----------------------------------quote----------------
On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 07:30:49 -0500 Richard Pizzulo <pez18@zebra.net>
writes:
> So I go to check my oil this morning, and I notice that the plastic
> sleeve that holds the dipstick into the tube is broken and in pieces
> around the dipstick.  I reach down and pull it all off except for a
> little piece that I just know went down the tube.  First off, is
> this going to hurt my car in any way to drive on for a couple of days
> until I can get the oil changed?  Second is this a universal type of
piece
> that I could get at an auto parts store?
>
> -=Rick
> 84' 8V Wolfs
> Mobile, AL

How big of a piece?

I'd change the oil ASAP...

The dipstick extender is ~$2 at the dealer.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V