Re: Recaro interior......and questions.

-----Original Message-----
From: David & Michelle Barwick <dbarwick@sprynet.com>
To: Scirocco List <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>; scirocco86@home.com
<scirocco86@home.com>
Date: Monday, July 24, 2000 1:41 PM
Subject: Re: Recaro interior......and questions.

>Gary Huff" Wrote:
>
>> Scored a complete Recaro interior out of an 88 GLI for 75$ yesterday.
>That's better than a sharp stick in the eye!

You bet

>> The drivers side seat needs a new foam insert on the outside, and it has
>> few small cracks and rips going up it.
>Foam inserts are around $20 from Wolfsport if I remember correctly.

Sweet, do they have a site where I can order a complete set for both seats?
I don't want to have to do this again :)

>> Has anyone ever had a set of these re-upholstered? If so, where did you
>have them done? I
>> would like to get them both back to perfect shape.
>Not cheap or easy to find a shop that will do that quality of work.  Most
>shops have access to a Recaro material swatch book.  Recaro fabric is
>insanely expensive; but IMO nothing else really comes close to getting the
>"look".

Just the drivers side bottom cushion needs some new fabric... tiny cigarette
melts in it that are barely noticable, I bet I could live with it though...
but the slight cracks and rips in the pleather must be redone. Is this
fixable?

>> Another question I assume the seats just bolt onto the original mk2
>frames? Can I use the
>> nice power adjust frames and wire them in? :)
>If I knew which car you were putting them into it would be easier to answer
>this question.  I can't even tell for sure that you got the frames that
came
>with the seats.  Yes you can use the power frames in most applications.
For
>cool guy bonus points, go back to the junkyard and carefully remove the
>wiring harness that goes from both seats to the fuse box (no need to cut
any
>wires!).  This will allow you to hook up your seats properly and retain all
>of the factory connectors.

Don't wanna wire in the power switches. I'll just lower them all the way.
They are going into a 86 16v scirocco, how should I go about this? A few
people said they will sit to high :( what's the consensus on this?

>My power Recaro's went into my Mk1 Jetta after I swapped the bases from one
>seat to the other.  As far as I know, unless you are putting them into a
Fox
>or an Westmoreland Rabbit, they will go into any VW.  Outside of that, with
>some ingenuity they will fit into most other VW's.
>
>> About the backseat, has anyone successfully put the matching rear seat
in?
>It looks like it
>> could bedone..... I'd like to have an interior that matches.
>My friends and I have always kept the rear benches for the material.  You
>could either try to make the seat fit by butchering it, or take your rear
>seat and the one that came with your Recaro's to an upholsterer and have
>them recover your rear seat in the other fabric.  Note: If you got the
funky
>blue color pattern seats (I think only in the limited '89 Wolfsburg GLI
>though), some of the non-16V Wolfsburg model Golfs and Jetta's used that
>same fabric (minus the Recaro lettering of course).  You could rob one of
>them of fabric to use for your re-upholstery job. Let me know.  I know of a
>few of those base model cars in my area.
>
>I still think that those seats were one of the best upgrades I put into my
>Jetta.  Enjoy them.

They are the grey ones with black lettering. I was thinking I should take
the rear seat too just incase I did need some material :) Thanks