Re: Starting problems. Me too (Mk1)

Silly question, but does turning the ignition on
without engaging the starter pressurize the lines
on a Mk1 (EN 1.7) as for the later engines???
I'm so accustomed to my Mk2 that I forget how the
Mk1 should behave. Why I ask: my Mk1 decided not to
start just now and the fuel pump is now eerily silent.
I had spark and then after much cranking the car
fired up and ran like it was on 1-2 cylinders..
giving it gas did *nothing* to improve things.
Now it wont even fire and I have no spark and a quiet
pump. Battery has 12.4 volts but may be weak. My ignition
wasn't all that hot to start off with. Time to fix that
first i guess then worry about the fuel system. k.
'81 Scirocco S
'88 Scirocco 16v