New brakes...

So,
	I got myself some new ATE front rotors and Pagid pads and put them
on. When I first put them on, they didn't grab at ALL. It took about 20
miles of driving to make them work well at all, and they still don't grab
as well as I remember Pagid pads grabbing. This is because
I didn't properly clean the anti-rust stuff off the discs, right? What
should I use to do this? I did wipe them down with a clean cloth, but it
wasn't enough. That stuff always smells like sawdust when it's burning
off. Should I still bother to clean them? Any other thoughts?
	Thanks,
	Josiah

'84 GTi
http://bork.hampshire.edu/josiah