16v noises...

i was just under my hood and heard a rather disturbing noise.  the noise
sonds like it is comming from under the timing belt cover and sounds like
something slapping the inside of it.  i peeled back the cover so i could see
the belt and it looked good, even though it does have a solid stripe going
down the middle of it.  around 2000 or so rpms (not quite sure exactly, due
to the fact it's kinda hard to listen to noises under the hood and look at
the tach @ the some time...)  it seems to be about the loudest.  the car in
question is an 88 16v rocco that is bone stock.  the pass. side of the
engine does sag more than a little....  mount is in desprite need of
replacement... could this be the problem?
any ideas?  Suggestions?  is my timing belt about to break and wreck my
engine?
Thanx muchly y'all....
~corey