transmission fluid leaking onto steering/suspension parts

My 82 started making some strange noises in the front end Thursday
afternoon.  I didn't think a lot of it other than "I'll get it looked at
sometime".  Well, on Friday, it got much worse, so I stopped by my tire
shop to have it looked at.  They found the problem pretty quickly; there
appeared to be transmission fluid in/on the left front wheel bearing.

I guess my question is: how would tranny fluid get in my wheel bearing?
Might this be indicative of some other problem with the transmission?

I'll also need to fix the wheel bearing, so if anyone has a complete,
working steering knuckle, I might be interested in it (I'm in
northern/central Ca).

-Tim