Re: airbox hose

Ok, I'll try this again, my first e-mail was cut off
in mid thought.

Daun wrote:
>I don't think it makes much of any difference really
- >once
>you're moving especially.  None of my cars have that
>tube
>anymore, and a couple were like that when I bought
>them.
>
>Don't bother with it.

Huuuh?????
Hot air = less oxygen = less power.
I have tried over the years in my Mk1's

1. Stock configuration hose (into lower rad support
sheetmetal box)
2. No hose
3. Completely swiss cheesed air-box
4. Enclosed 16V box with 3" feeder hose to the opening
in the front sheetmetal behind the bumper.
(At Laguna Seca and a couple AutoX's last year, I even
ran the 3" hose to a 4"-3" reducer custom fit to the
Drivers side High beam bucket, minus the headlight of
course)

I have found that 3 sounds the coolest and gives the
most power when the engine is cold, but is the worst
when the engine warms up, I noticed a BIG drop in
power.

With 4 The power is not as great as 3 when cold but is
consistent and no loss in power when engine warms up.

All of this is a mute point below 4K rpm and becomes
paramount above 6K.
Remember Combustion comes from the mixing of O and
fuel. The more O, the more fuel and more power.
Air is more densely populated with O the colder it is
and vice-versa.
Therefore: Cold O = more O/more fuel = more power.

Just thought I'd rib ya' a little.

Randy B
"Thinks he's a rocket scientist" 8^)