Re: How to get the %$#@ rear tranny mount in.. (update)

I got around to putting everything back together last
night.
What I had to do:
Pull the plate off the bottom of the tranny (3 17mm
bolts on tranny side)
Pull the plate off the bottom of the car (2 17mm bolts
under car)
Mount the tranny mount on both plates
Bolt everything back up

This is by far the easiest way I found to do it.  I
got plenty of experience last night, because
apparently you need to bolt the steering gear to the
universal steering shaft before you bolt it in place.
No jacking required.

But - the whole front end is back together again.  Now
to tear into the rear again :(

Thanks for the replies
Mark
--- "Jeffrey W. Wheeler" <j_dubbya@mindspring.com>
wrote:
> > I'ma havin some problems getting my new tranny
> mount
> > in.  I got it bolted onto the tranny with some
> > creative jack work to snap it into place, but now
> I am
> > thinking I shoulda done it differently.  I cant
> get
> > the bottom mount plate back on.
> >
> > Do I have to pull it, bolt it to the plate, then
> slide
> > it onto the bottom of the tranny and the other 2
> plate
> > bolts?
> >
> > Also, it looks like it is about 1/3" too far to
> the
> > left (drivers side)
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> I did mine recently, and everything lined up without
> any tugging.  I put a
> jack with a piece of wood on it under the oil pan,
> and jacked it up just to
> where I could see the engine begin to move upward,
> then backed off.  The old
> mount came out and the new one went in without
> incident.
>

> --
> Email problems to: scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org  To
> unsubscibe send

=====
Mark
If you're not paranoid, you're not paying attention.

87 Westfalia Gl
84 Scirocco 8v
http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/