Re: airbox hose

Captnbr@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/20/00 8:19:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> kcollins1@socal.rr.com writes:
>
> << Obviously this will
>  draw in hot air when the car is sitting still, perhaps it's not an issue
>  when moving?  Any opinions/advice - should I replace the thing??
>   >>

> I would replace it.  Mine was removed on my car.  In the middle of the summer
> with the a/c on I would have very bad stumbling and hesitation and very poor
> acceleration threw 1st and second gear.  Then I realized that the cooling fan
> was blowing the hot air from the radiator directly into the airbox.  I
> replaced the hose and connected it to where it should be and problem was
> solved. Later
>
> Brian 86 16v
> http://hometown.aol.com/captnbr/myhomepage/auto.html

I concur with Brian.  Even though my 16V has had this intake hose to the airbox
ever since I bought the car new, I gotta believe VW set it up that way for a
damn good reason.  You better believe in the summer that when your engine is
nice and warm that she'll be sucking hot air without that hose.

Hey, there's a 2nd hose running from a shield on the back of the exhaust
manifold up to the air intake 'scoop' under the battery.  There's also a white
vacuum line running from the air intake rubber boot (near the throttle body)
forward to this air intake scoop.  (In fact, this white vacuum line even appears
in the 'Vacuum Routing Diagram' on the underside of the hood).  Obviously
there's some kind of vacuum actuated mechanism in the air scoop.

Anybody know what the purpose of this setup is on the 16V?  This is NOT
described anywhere in Bentley.

TIA

Jay Bichanich
86.5 Scirocco 16V (original owner)