Re: Moment of weakness...

The engine in question is an 8V 1.7 with the following modifications:
cold air snorkle, K&N, N-Speed TB, bored out plenum, Autotech G-grind
cam, Autotech Tri-Y manifold and TT exhaust.  I also have a fuel/air
gauge hooked up to the O2 sensor, but it's in parallel, so that shouldn't
cause a problem.  In the past 1 1/2 years I have done the normal tune up
stuff, along with replaceing the fuel pressure regulator, injectors, O2
sensor, injector seals, and vacuum lines (all of the ones I could find,
anyway...).  I have also replaced all of the grounds in the engine
compartment that I could find.

The symptoms are a fuel ratio that cycles lean at one or two cycles per
second.  It tends to run better with some sort of eletrical load on the
system (such as the lights.  If I turn them off it cycles again.  Also,
if I flash the high beams, once they are off it runs roughly for a few
seconds and stabilizes.) but sometimes runs rough anyway.  It also tends
to run rough after winding the engine out a bit.  Normally to make the
bucking less noticeble, I end up cranking up the CO levels and the idle.

I have asked this in the past and seveal people suggested the transfer
pump.  According to the Bentley diagrams, I don't have one of those.
However, this car had been totalled and has several other Sciroccos in
it, and it's possible I got a later fuel tank with the transfer pump.  Is
there an easy way to find this without going in the tank?  Go under the
seat and find that panel and look for an extra wire?

I really want help with this, 'cause I have sworn to NEVER get rid of
this car.  (I'm known for saying "I'll get divorced before I trade Fritz
in for a Buick wagon!")  Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
B.

'82 Scirocco (a.k.a. "Fritz")
'85 Jetta