16v-Low Oil Pressure

Last year I installed a new VDO oil pressure sending
unit and gauge in my 86 16v and have noticed how low my
oil pressure readings are.  At startup it reads 7-8 bar
and on the highway reads around 3 bar.  But then at idle
I get a gauge reading of practically nothing!
When the car is nice and warm and I come to a stop the
rpm's usually drop a little before rebounding to idle
at ~900 rpm...when the rpm's drop a little the oil pres.
warning light will flash briefly.  Hmmm...maybe my oil
pressure really IS that low at idle!

Could my oil pump be bad/going bad?  With low pressure
like I have, are there symptoms to look for that would
indicate a pump going bad?

Do others have this experience?

BTW, I run 15W50 Mobile 1 synth.

TIA