Re: Clunking up front...CV's goin?

>Hello everyone...I need some help.   I have been experiencing some clunking
>in the front of the car when i take off at a light,  and also braking
>(nearing the stop position). I was wondering if its what I think it is.  I
>looked at my cv boot....and it has a small tear in it.  From what I have
>experienced in the past...a small hole in the cv-boot might as well be a big
>one...because the grease comes out,  and dirt goes in.
>
>Sooo...anyone have a drivers side cv joint/drive axle assembly they can part
>with?  If not...the assembly runs like 320 smackers brand new (Ouchie).
>
>By the way..its a 16v car....so I believe they are 100mm chumpies.
>
>Thanks everyone...
>
>Joe Maahs

Yeah, sounds like you should replace that CV joint.  Many people have
used reman axels/joints but there have been some repeated failures in
that arena and I personally wouldn't suggest it.  You can just buy the
joint / boot to replace yours.  Contact Mark or Mike for a more inexpensive
way of fixing this.

However, this might not be the clunking you are hearing.  When the upper
strut bearings get worn out, they stretch creating some 'slack'.  When
you stop or turn or rapidly transition the car, that 'slack' is taken up
and they clunk a little.  Are you still running the original suspension?
If so, it's probably on it's last legs and needs updating.

Good luck!

==Brett