GX engine.

Well, I finally found out that my engine was swapped sometime previously.
After sanding off the rust covering the engine code, found it that it is a
GX...hence the hydraulic lifters.  So what does anyone know about the GX?
>From what I read, it was used in golfs and jettas, it has 9.0:1 compression,
but smaller valves.  Everything else is the same as JH I believe.  Does
anyone know what year the GX was produced?  Coulda swore this car was
completely original...hmm...well, I'll have to start using higher octane
gasoline. :)

Lee Folkman
'84 Wolfsburg Scirocco 8v (soon to be turbo)
'82 Jetta Diesel(225,000+ and can still get 50mpg)
http://scirocco84.homepage.com