Re: a question or two

In a message dated 07/12/2000 11:58:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
foxxinabox@core.com writes:

<<  1) my '85 8v seems to idle about 1200-1300 (can't tell b/c the tach
 doesn't work). problem is, i tried lowering the idle on the car while it
 was running. got to about where my '86 8v is and shut the car off. when
 i went to start it again, the engine started turning over, then stopped.
 turned all the lights off, but nothing helped. got out, upped the idle
 again and the car started fine. the underhood label says the idle should
 be at 800-950 (something like that). the p.o. also did some head work if
 that matters. anyone know why my car can't lower it's idle?

How are you adusting the idle?  Not to sound condescending but I've seen some
people adjust it by taking up the accelerator cable or the screwing in the
positive stop on the TB.  These methods may give the symptoms you describe.
Make sure you're adusting the idle with the idle air bypass valve(little
brass screw on the TB).

   3) my engine likes to shake the car. if i bring the rpm's down to
 where they should be, it's not as bad. all the mounts seem okay (the
 front was just replaced). any other things to check (damn trans
 mount?!?)?  thanx.

The passenger side mount usually causes the most shake.  While it's idling
and shaking, try jacking up the oil pan on the passenger side to see if that
helps.  If so, your P side mount is most likely bad.

HTH

greg f