alignment

well my sciricco needs an alignment (88 16V)...i know this for two reasons...i just added lowering spings, and my steering is now off center to the left by about a couple inches...now, i don't really want to fork over the 60 bucks to have someone align the car for me, (i'm a poor college student)...so my qeustion, is this an attemptable job?...or am i going to be stuck paying for it?  i have a basic understanding of the principles involved in the alignment process, but any tips or methods with be useful...TIA

doug