Re: Rear trans mount - how often do they go bad?

>From: Mark Mages <wasserbox@yahoo.com>

>Just curious. I've just seen a
>lot of people replacing them lately.

I think they generally last for a long time with the usual spirited driving.
It's one of those things that many people don't notice (oftentimes buying
the car that way), and wouldn't bother to change (none of _us_ of course),
unless they knew what a difference it makes. This list has a way of pointing
out "routine" maintenance that is not in the "Standard VW Scheduled
Maintenance List." One person proclaims the wonderful sensation of having a
functional rear mount and 10 more decide to check theirs.
FWIW, a leaky drive flange seal will spray tranny lube on the mount and
drastically reduce it's life. That and the heat from the exhaust.

>I thought it
>looked a little off, then when I pulled the steering
>gear, I took it off, and it is split in 1/2, and the
>bottom bolt is stripped.

Yeah, time for a new one. :-)
I know you like how it drives now.

Jonas