Paint help for the DIY'er

I decided to tackle the paint on the MK1 myself.
Soooo I've been sanding & sanding & sanding & sanding
on the uglymobile.  There were 8 layers of paint on
the hood!!!!!! Yesterday I found myself purchasing an
air compressor.  I've realized, as many of you that
know me may know, that I'm anal enough that I could &
would spend the time to do this right.. myself.  I
need to get ready to buy primer & paint supplies. If
anybody wants to give me some helping hints about what
brands to purchase/stay away from please feel free to
shoot me an email privately.  Also, if any particular
books are available that are up to date & accurate in
surface preparation techniques for novices like myself
I'd love to know what they are.  Right now the MK1 is
resting in the garage with a lot of the paint removed
right down to the metal.  Looks kinda cool. Thanks!
Oh... yeah, its a new email address. screw aohell.

=====
Dan May - Greensboro NC
8716VScirocco
'79Scirocco - Mk1 Window Rubber WANTED.
95Pathfinder(FOR SALE 59k, blue, 4x2, mechanically perfect, NEW tires/brakes/AC)
http://members.aol.com/scirocco87 <temporarily>
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Hannibal Smith