Re: Power steering options

Ben,
         I'm surprised by your accusations! :)

         Of all of the front-wheel drive cars I've driven (and that's a
sizable amount; well over 100 different makes and models easily), the
Scirocco has the most precise steering by a fair margin.  Not that it's
without its faults (torque steer being one), but it's dead on precise at
all speeds, and with 50-series tires on 15" rims, there is *no* lag in turn
in.  It's easily the crispest steering this side of a brand new M3, and the
best it gets for a FWD car.

         As far as the steering being unpredictable, that's most likely due
to chassis flex.  As we all know, these cars aren't exactly tanks -- so
small chassis flex can most certainly result in steering that's all over
the road (especially under heavy throttle).  And, since the suspension
design on our cars is quite primitive, bumps also upset the directional
stability more than, say, a newer performance car would be.

         However, if you've got some looseness in your steering, it's more
than likely something up with your car -- worn bushings somewhere.  I'll
see you in a few weeks and you can drive my car -- and let me know if you
feel the same thing.

Jason'

PS:  Any skidpad results with the GTech yet? :)

At 05:16 PM 7/6/2000 , Benjamin Harder wrote:
>Has anyone ever felt that their power steering on the scirocco feels
>a little unpredictable/imprecise?  Well, after driving my cousin's
>Ford Probe (yes, a Ford)...I actually was impressed with the precision of
>the power steering.  It seemed to be very responsive.
>Does anyone know of another power steering rack that would fit the
>scirocco and give a better precise feel and closer ratio?
>
>TIA
>
>=====

1987 Scirocco 16v
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro