Re: Dropping the tranny

I usually drop both drive shafts (you're halfway there anyways, and I take
the opportunity to repack CV's if required,) but it definitely can be done
by one person.  I lower the transmission onto my stomach after removing
the top right bolt (which I leave finger tight until last.)  Having a
creeper helps to roll along the floor with the transmission squeezing your
lunch out, but it's not that bad if you do it in your driveway either.  I
think the tranny only weighs about 75lbs or so...?  Now VW automatics are
a different story (damned heavy pigs that they are...)

Axle nuts are 30mm, by the book should only be used once, and are torqued
to 178 lb-ft.  Personally I re-use all but the roundest looking ones, and
stake them a bit with a cold chisel.

Drew  84 Wolfsburg Edition

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Aaron Ness wrote:

> If I take off the driver's side drive shaft, it's a simple one-person job,
> right?  My brother and I did it with his drive shaft in place, and it was a
> real PITA to get out and back in.
>
> What size socket does the axle nut take again?
>
> Aaron
> '82 Scirocco
> '84 Scirocco
> '70 Bug - Hibernating
> '87 Jeep Cherokee 4.0

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca