High Idle and fan UPdate

Well guys, thanks for you info it was very helpful.  I spent the whole day
trying to tackle this problem and here is what I did  and accomplished.

1).  There were a couple very badly corroded wires going from the relay that
is in front of the battery to the fan and to the sensor at the bottom of the
radiator. Replaced bad wires and reassembled.

    What this did.

A) Fan now comes on when A/C is turned on.
B) Fan now stays on for approx. one minute after engine is shut off.
C) My alarm which hasn't been working for a few months has suddenly started
to work after this repair. I have know Idea..... but I'm happy.

2.) Removed A/C relay in fuse box to find one of the terminals is all melted
on the fuse block.  Tried to remove melted plastic and reinstalled relay.

A) Now the Fresh air blower works on high speed, which it did not do before,
Yahoo. But while running on high speed I started to smell plastic
buring,after a few minutes reached down to feel the relay and it was burning
hot, so I lowered the fan back down to 3 and the relay cooled down.

3.) di-elctric greased all electrical connections that have to do with the A/C

4) W-D 40 idle switch.

Well the A/C seems to stay cool now on the lower speeds and does not turn on
and off.  High speed now works but i smell plastic burning when it is on and
the relay gets very hot. Idle is still high sometimes but the compressor is
still on I can see the  a/c clutch spinning even when the idle is high so I
might need to get a new idle switch. I bet thats expensive.  I tried looking
over the wire diagrams but to me it is like trying to read Chinese. Thanks
for all your help. Peace

Brian 86 16v
http://hometown.aol.com/captnbr/myhomepage/auto.html