Re: trans leaking

The green cap is available at the dealer for a few bucks.  You can pry the
old one off by sticking a screwdriver through it (messy) and will loose
whatever oil is out in the 5th gear housing.

I just drive the new one in after cleaning everything up nicely, and it
lasts until the cap rusts through (3-5 years in the salt belt).  Some
people use a sealant/gasket goo, but I've never needed it.  A block of
wood or a really large socket will make it easier to do, coupled with
dropping the transmission down by undoing the left, front and rear mounts
while supporting the engine with a hoist/jack.  However, I've done it
without, on A1's it's just a little harder to get at the top of the cap to
drive it in squarely.

Optionally you can replace your throwout bearing and/or clean up all the
grime that's accumulated in the upper west side of your transaxle case.

Drew  84 Wolfsburg Edition

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Foxx (in a box) wrote:

>   after replacing the clutch and changing the fluid a little while ago,
> i've noticed spots on the ground that turned out to be trans fluid. it
> appears to be coming from the green cap on the end. we tapped down the
> edges but it still seems to leak. appears to be the only place it's
> coming from. is there a gasket that i need to put in there? how can i
> stop this leak? trans fluid isn't cheap, but i'm hoping the fix is.
> thanx.
>
> --
>  /\_/\	  Foxx (in a box)
> < o o >	  http://foxx.tripod.com
>   \ /
>    °

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca