Re: paint - oh my!

Kevin,

>It appears that even on the smoothest surfaces (roof, hood, etc) that there
>is VERY fine orange peeling showing up, on the entire car.  I could swear

Kevin, is the car clearcoated?  If it is, there can be some waves that
resemble orange peel in the clearcoat.  It is really hard to put on because
you cant see it when you are spraying it on.  This is something that can be
fixed with wetsanding.   If the car has already been wetsanded, it can be
done again to detail the spots that you have reciently noticed.

One thing that concerns me - the idiot foreman at
>the paint shop told me I could wax it immediately, which I did (with some
>decent Maguires carnuba stuff) - however checking the Maguires website,
>they say a resprayed car should be allowed to cure 3-4 months.  Could this
>be the cause of what I'm seeing in the paint???

You should be able to wax it soon after the paint.  It usually takes a week
or 2 i think for the paint to get totally hardened, but waxing it as soon as
you did would not cause this i don't think.  By waxing your rocco you did
NOT create that orange peel affect.

If you were thinking of bringing it back to get the rest of the orange peel
off, you can wash the car with JOY dish soap a few times.  It takes the wax
right off.

>Any wisdom welcomed.. before I go down to the paint shop and get a bunch
>of runaround!

Keep in mind that i am not a pro body shop guy.  I have assisted my father
in the painting of several vehicles so i have seen some of this stuff in
person.  My dad reciently painted his 5.0 mustang with basecoat clearcoat
and when he was done with the clearcoat it looked like shit.  The clearcoat
was all wavy and lots of orange peel, but after a good wetsanding it looks
great.  HTH

Jason Arms (Essex, VT)

'87 Scirocco 16v
'64 Sunroof Beetle (livin a new life)