Steering Clunking

I'll try my best to explain the clunking sounds which I hear from my
steering.  When the car is at a standstill, I jerk the steering wheel back
and forth and it clunks.

I think that this is causing my brakes and steering to vibrate when braking
over 80km/h.  I have installed new Mintex redbox pads with new vented
rotors, and rebuilt calipers.  In addition to my tire sticking out too far,
I think that the steering is causing some of the problems.  Where do I start
to look and examine for failures.  TIA

Sal
81 Scirocco S (16V to be)
81 Scirocco (motorless and directionless)
84 Rabbit (now Gti)
84 Scirocco Wolfsburg