Re: 2.0 16V origin?

Where to find a new Scirocco motor and where was it made.

Look at the casting on the blocks. I bet it will say Germany
on the 2.0 16v Passat block and Mexico on the Jetta 1.8.
My 1990 B3 2.0 16v Passat was built in Frankfurt Germany.
The motor is 100% German. I think some Passats
were made in South America and China (B2 for sure).
I have never seen any evidence that the B3 Passat
with the 2.0 16v was made in any other location other than
Germany. The motor is the same as the Jetta 2.0 16v
for the most part so it would be interesting to look at the specs and codes.
I think your "friend" has his story backwards.
The B3 Passat in Europe is like a Ford Taurus is in the US, but that is the
only place that the B3 Passat is main stream. It would make
NO sense to build the car in North or Central America.
Why would the motor be built in Mexico? Now it could be
possible to cast the block in Mexico and ship it to Germany.
The shipping would add cost to the bottom line of the motor.
The Golf and Jetta were both made in many factories.
The Golf was made in more factories than any other VW.
I bet that the Jetta/Golf motor could have come from several
locations including Germany and Mexico but the Passat
motor would make the most sense if it came from Germany.
It is possible that the Jetta motor is the same Passat motor from Europe.
Well I will keep my eyes open.

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco "GTX"
81 8v red Scirocco "S"