Re: Upgrading to 100mm CV flanges

Greg (Goethfaust) brought up an excellent point about the tranny case
clearance. I do know that the 4k tranny from the 84 GTI will accept the
larger flanges without modification.

I made the change to 100mm CVs in my Caddy after I had problems with the 90mm
CVs with a Velocity Diff Kit. The diff upgrade uses an allen head bolt to
retain the CV flange dust cap, and the smaller CVs just do not have enough
clearance. This resulted in the inner CV striking, and eventually backing out
the bolt on one side (I degreased the parts, used Loctite primer and High
Strength 271- it should have held). 100mm flanges have a large enough cavity
inside that the bolt backing out is not a problem.

The swap will require the later model hub carriers (85up Cabby or 16V
Scirocco), Scirocco 16V axles, and obviously the larger flanges and CV bolt
backing plates. I used new flanges, with new oil seals, as I didn't want to
have to tear it down later for a tranny leak. If you decide on used flanges--
inspect them VERY carefully for a ridge, as it doesn't take much of one to
tear up the oil seal.

Don't be tempted to build a "hybrid" axle with 100mm CVs on 90mm axles, as
the spline lengths are too short to fit the larger flanges. Going the other
way around- 90mm CVs and 100mm axles WILL work, but the resulting 1/8" slop
will cause premature spline wear. (This is why the factory uses the dished
washer to take up the slack on the splines).

The whole swap can be pretty spendy if you use new factory axles, flanges and
replace your hub bearings. (Kind of inflates the budget for the $99 diff
upgrade.)

HTH,

Danny
81 Caddy-