Maximum timing adjustment

Ok kids,

I have my dist. on my 'Rocco (16V) adjusted until there is about 1/16th" of
adjustment left for advancement and have not made the engine ping yet. Keep
in mind it is a rather cannibalized system and the knock brain is from an
'87 16V GTi. I am trying to get a feel for maximum advance without pinging
and the fucker just wont ping. Any ideas why this is? I know that if you
overadvance ANY knock sensor sytem it will ping eventually (dependant on the
adjustment). The car keeps getting faster as I advance the timing; I just
want to tune it to maximum power. If it helps it is a 1825cc @ 11-1 CR. Any
ideas?

BTW I do have it set accordingly with the holes for adjustment on the
head/cam bearing for max. advance.

TIA

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867