Ditching the Heater core

Well, you know that when you're sick with a flu and shit, you come up with
some fucked up ideas.  Here's my fucked up idea.

CAn I ditch my heater core, vents, etc and leave out the unnecessary items?
 The cars I contemplate putting under the knife are my 84 Rabbit and my 81
Scirocco.  I figured that since we can ditch the a/c, how about the heat?
PLease keep in mind that these cars are only driven in the summer and I DO
NOT plan on driving them in the winter. I can save on some weight as well
as other benefits (or so I think).

So what would be the advantages and disadvantages in pursuing this possibly
fruitless feat.  Stupid questions do not exist so here I am asking.  I've
never seen this topic discussed so I wanna know.  Thanks y'all!!!!!

Lates!
Sal
81 Scirocco
81 Scirocco S (16V to be)