Re: Why my '81 16v won't start? (part 2)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Dave Novak wrote:

> >Just a thought, but isn't there a DIFFERENT fuel pump relay used in CIS-E
> >systems vs CIS?
>
> YES!
>
> I have the one from the Jetta, too.
>
> Should I use this one? If so, how do I hook it up since the Jetta's has four
> pins and no fuse, and the Scirocco's has five and a fuse.

Well, if it has a different pin number and configuration it may not be
what you are after.  But I remember talk of people putting later style Mk2
Fuel pump relays in Mk1s because the later style ones primed, while the
Mk1 ones didn't.  Maybe this is part of the issue?

I think you should jumper the fuel pump relay and see if the car works
though.  The details for this are in the Bently.  It is quite simple!
Look in the section for checking injector flow.  They describe how to
jumper it in there.  If the car runs with the fuel pump forced to stay on,
then you know your problem lies with an incorrect fuel pump relay or fuel
pump relay wiring.

Eric