Re: fuel tank recall was: Recall? Any on 86-87 16v

Sounds like they didn't replace the O-ring that's on the fuel
pickup/sender assembly.  Although it's not overly expensive, I expect that
a lot of VW dealers aren't stocking it anymore.

These O-rings tend to dry out over time, making them difficult, if not
impossible, to re-use.

On the plus side, it's an easy fix - just pop the access panel under the
seat and turn the pickup 1/3 turn (with fancy tool shown in Bentley or a
big screwdriver), replace o-ring and re-install (note the orientation of
fel lines shown in Bentley - later models probably have an "arrow" to
indicate correct alignment between tank and pickup.)

The other possibility is that they didn't reconnect the vent line for the
tank - that can cause fumes that would have filtered through the charcoal
cannister at the front of the car to exit directly to the atmosphere.  The
vent line is the clear plastic line with what looks like a wire coil or
spring inside it - it's a pain to reconnect on the big tanks because of
the length of the hose (the fitting is on the top rear of the tank.)

Drew (84 Wolfsburg Ed)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Foxx (in a box) wrote:

>   see you guys seem to get lucky. i began to smell gas before i took my
> car in to get the transfer pump replaced. since i got it back i now
> smell gas every time i fill up. i don't think they did something right
> and now i can't get it fixed properly. unfortunately my car is a 8v and
> doesn't fall under the vin for the gas tank replacement. :(
>
> --
>  /\_/\	  Foxx (in a box)
> < o o >	  http://foxx.tripod.com
>   \ /
>    °

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca