Re: AutoX Competition Tire Favorites?

For autocross, you want the lighter unsprung weight and rotating mass that a
smaller wheel offers.  Your car should be able to fit 13" wheels, and that
is what you want.  In addition to running 13" wheels, reduce the rolling
circumference of the tire to give lower gearing.  This is REALLY important
in autocross where you have to really slow down for some corners and your
engine is bogging at the bottom of second gear.

As for tires, I would not recommend Craig's choice of tire.  The A032 is a
road race tire and has more tread than you want.  For autocross you want a
slick tire.  The BFG R1's are great.  Hoo$ier has an autocross compound tire
as does Kumho.  I think the Kumhos are the cheapest.  There are people who
swear by each of these tires.  I've only driven on the R1's and they are
great.  They stick well and last for a whole season.  I think the Hoo$iers
are good, but they do not last as long and require more care and feeding.
Not a good starter tire.

A guy I've autocrossed with (Kevin Groot) ran A032's on his GTI and he was
dissapointed in them.  They are great for road race, but you want something
more if you're going to be serious about autocross.

My $0.02

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition