Re: [H2O] Re: thermo-time switch location on 8V

> > What exactly is a thermo-time switch and what does it do ?
> > does it ever go bad and what happens if it does ?
> >

>As per Haynes.

A manual named after underwear. ;)

>  The thermo-time switch which is mounted on the cylinder head coolant
>outlet
>inhibits the
>oxygen sensor system when the engine is cold and the sensor signal is
>unstable.

This si incorrect. The Lambda switch is the one I thin you are referring to
here.

A faulty thermo -time
>switch can also prevent proper operation at normal operating temperatures.

This is true. I have never seen nor heard of this ever happening. But
anything is possible.

>To check it.  you will need a multimeter.

Yes or a test light.

>Remove the wiring connector and test for continuity between the two
>terminals on the switch. When the
>coolant temperature is below 63F (cold engine), THERE SHOULD BE CONTINUITY.
>When the coolant temperature is at normal operating temp THERE SHOULD BE NO
>CONTINUITY.

Correct

>If either test fails replace the switch.
>
>I really sugest you go and buy the service manual for your car before
>attempting to troubleshoot anything.

I agree. But, get a Bentley not a Haynes ;)

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag
'82 GLI (now with a happy shaved, solenoid operated trunk)
'80 'Vert
'61 17 Window
'78 Scirocco