Re: thermo-time switch location on 8V

I have seen the thermo time switches go bad. I have never seen a cold start
valve go bad.

The thermo time switch gives the cold start valve ground; NOT power. When
you turn the car on the fuel pump relay sends power to the thermo time
switch . As the power is applied to the thermo time switch it heats up a
bimetallic strip inside the switch. Coolant will also heat this switch. When
the engine is cold this strip of metal sends ground to the cold start valve.
As the strip heats up it bends and interrupts the ground to the cold start
valve. The cold start valve and the thermo time switch have power the whole
time the fuel pump relay is closed. HTH

>From: Oliver Seiler <oseiler@acm.org>
>Subject: Re: thermo-time switch location on 8V
>Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:37:56 -0800 (PST)
>
>On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Sonic Druid wrote:
>
> >  What exactly is a thermo-time switch and what does it do ?
> >  does it ever go bad and what happens if it does ?
>
>It's a component of the cold-start enrichment system of the fuel injection
>system. From Bentley:
>
>When the engine is cold the [thermo-time switch] is closed, allowing power
>to reach the [cold-start valve] and open it. When the engine is warm, the
>switch is open and the valve does not operate.
>
>Presumably both the thermo-time switch and the cold-start valve can go
>bad, though I don't know how common this is. They can be tested if you're
>having cold-start or hot-start problems.
>
>-Oliver
>
>Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software,
>http://www.pivotal.com
>     Scirocco MkII Diary - http://erisian.com/~oseiler/scirocco/index.html
>

>--

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag
'82 GLI (now with a happy shaved, solenoid operated trunk)
'80 'Vert
'61 17 Window
'78 Scirocco