thermo-time switch location on 8V

Hi, I've got an 1986 8V, JH engine. I'm slowly tracking down a hot-start
problem on my car. I'd like to test the thermo-time switch at some point,
but this involves finding it. Bentley has a picture (fig. 5-3, section 5.1
of chapter 6, page 6-12 in my book) which shows the location of the
"thermoswitch" (which seems to be the same thing). I have the same plug as
shown in the drawing, but it's not connected to anything (I've found one
unconnected lead in the vicinity of it, but no second one yet -- not sure
what the unconnected lead is for yet, though).

Haynes (don't have it right in front of me) has the thermo-time switch in
the same area, but on top of water pipe, with a different connector (in
fact, Bentley shows a different version of the thermo-time switch in
fig.5-6 on page 5-23). I have this as well, and it is connected.

So now I'm confused. What is the unconnected sensor (which sits
essentially on the opposite side of the water pipe from where the
thermo-time switch is)? Should it be connected to anything? What behaviour
would I expect if it isn't?

Thanks in advance!
Oliver

BTW -- what does HTH mean?