Re: more starting problems

Daun,
Try checking the starter bushing in the trans. I had a similar
problem in my '81. What I found on mine was that the bushing had
been worn out for quite some time, became loose and elongated
the hole it goes into to in the tranny. Under load it would move and
put a bind on the starter shaft. Here my fix: (other than replacing
the tranny)
remove old bushing,
mix up a batch of JB Weld or similar epoxy,
put some of the epoxy on the inside walls of the bushing hole in
the tranny,
put some more on the outside of the bushing.
Insert the new bushing, install starter and let sit in place over night.

This fixed my slow crank and has been fine for over 3 years now.
HTH

                   Kris Rayner
                  1989 GTI 16V
    1981 VW Scirocco S - Soon to be a 16V :)-
     "I do nothing in moderation but work."
               -Charles Dickens
        http://www.fix.net/~trzracing/web/