More starting problems

I've had a problem with my '85 ever since I bought it
almost a year ago.  The problem is the way the starter
operates.  Sometimes it will turn over just fine, but a lot
of times it will b-a-r-e-l-e-y turn over for 2-3
revolutions, THEN crank at normals speed.  I've installed a
couple of different (used) starters over the past year, and
that at first would seem to cure the problem, then within a
day or two it'd go back to it's usual ways so I'm pretty
convinced that the starter's not the problem.

Any thoughts?  Positive and / or negative battery cable?
I'm guessing it's not the battery itself as the symptom
persists in all seasons, and it will sometimes crank just
fine.

=====
Daun Yeagley
'79 Scirocco    <---For sale  :(
'80 Scirocco S
'81 Rabbit Pickup
'85 Scirocco 8v (2)
'88 Scirocco 16v
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."  - Dave Barry