No idle (sometimes): Please Help

84 Scirocco runs great, won't idle.  This not a frequent problem, but it
really sucks.  Lately, it idles fine until I first rev it past 2 grand and
the alternator kicks in.  Nothing really seems wrong with the engine,
although it was hesitant to start today (20 F).  Cold start valve stuck open?
(but then it would start better).  It will idle if I put a slight amount of
pressure on the throtle, but not by itself.  Idle has been around 950 rpm.

It's too damn cold to be working on cars!!!

Thanks
Ben